Arco della Pace
The arch of triumph ordered by Napoleon to the neoclassic architect Luigi Cagnola. One of the most interesting works in neoclassic style in the city of Milan.
During our tours of the Castello Sforzesco is always included a view of the Arco della Pace.
The architect Luigi Cagnola planned the Arco della Pace (Arch of Peace) in order to celebrate the victories of Napoleon in Italy. It was started in 1807 and completed only under the Austrian regime in 1838.
The architect kept the Arch of Septimius Severus in the Roman Forum as a reference, using a kind of marble form the Alps as construction material. Over the attic is located the imposing bronze chariot of victory by Abbondio Sangiorgio and the four goddesses of victory riding horses by Giovanni Putti.
The Arch was planned as the terminal of the long boulevard built upon orders by Napoleon to connect Milan to the Napoleonic Empire capital of Paris, it was actually one of the most impressive and innovative enterprises for the time.
Nearby to the Arch of Peace we can find another important relic of Milan at the time of Napoleon: the arena. This oval shaped building was built in 1806 by Luigi Canonica to host shows, parades and ceremonies of the Repubblica Cisalpina first then the Regno Italico and was able to contain up to 3000 people.